No smog. No traffic jams. No long commute.
Surrounded by soaring bluffs, pine-filled canyons, and rolling prairie, the Scottsbluff-Gering area offers numerous reasons why over 23,000 people choose to call it home.
Our climate is hard to beat—low humidity, plenty of sunshine, and smog-free fresh air.
- Average days of sunshine per year: 260.
- Average high/low temperature for August 87/55°.
- Average high/low temperature for February 44/16°.
- Average annual snowfall 29.00".
- Average annual rainfall 15.00".
- Average date of first frost: September 28.
- Below average figures for tornado activity at the state and national level.
In June 2015, the unemployment rate in Scotts Bluff County averaged 3.5 percent, a figure lower than the national average of 5.3 percent.
Cost of living
The cost of living in Scottsbluff is 15.2 percent lower than the U.S. average (2015).
- Scottsbluff/Gering: 23,824 (2015).
- Scotts Bluff County: 37,478 (2015).
- Nebraska panhandle: 99,205 (2012).
- Four-state service area: 120,000.
- In 2012, the median age of Scotts Bluff County residents was 36 years, compared to the state number of 42.2.
State sales tax 5.5 percent (2015) and local sales tax 1.5 percent (2015).
- A healthy job market with low unemployment rates.
- Work commutes averaging 10 minutes or less.
- A crime rate lower than the national average.
- Public and private schools.
- Entertainment options for all ages.
- An active performing and visual arts community.
- Bountiful outdoor recreation opportunities.
- A climate that embraces the best of the four distinct seasons.